The Regional Office for Future Earth in South Asia has a domain that spans the region of SAARC, Myanmar, and the two Indian Ocean Island Countries of Mauritius and Maldives. The office was set up on 9 July 2016 and has been fully established over the last four years with its co-aligned host, the Divecha Centre for Climate Change at the Indian Institute of Science in Bengaluru, India.
The South Asia Regional Office has organized various international workshops. Over the past years, it has also established two Future Earth Programs and constituted a Governing Council (GC). The South Asia Regional Office is now expanding its outreach and activities and has initiated a five-year Regional Program to:
- Help communicate science to society
- Develop community driven pilot programs on-ground
- Build a young researchers community
- Act as an interface between science and policy
- Look into the issues related to Food Security, Water Security, Air Pollution and the associated Health Risks in South Asia.
The office is also building a networking and coordination team to facilitate research, and to partner with various organizations globally.
The Regional Office functions to generate ‘Science for the People’ and develop the knowledge required for societies to face challenges posed by global environmental change. The office aims to integrate available information from national laboratories, ministries, departments and academic institutions in South Asia, and develop specific strategies to tackle the consequences of climate change. To achieve this, the Regional Office will:
- Endeavour to streamline the scientific community’s engagement with diverse decision-makers in the government, private sector and civil society
- Shape narratives and build coalitions with political entities and civil society, so that discussions percolate to the grassroots
Identify economic risks and advocate for sustainable measures by highlighting their economic benefits
- Recognize the importance of our natural resources and ensure that regional priorities are made part of the strategic development of Future Earth
- Facilitate and conduct Science Awareness Programs and Workshops on sustainability science
- Foster the establishment of Future Earth Regional Research Programs, National Committees, Working Groups and Future Earth Communities in South Asia
- Report on South Asia, collate all the knowledge available, and bring science to policy makers and society
- Provide up-to-date and timely information about the objectives and organization of Future Earth